Saturday, March 5, 2011

River Stones (Wherein Kelly talks about music and makes a necklace)

Last summer, in my glut of catching up with my liking of The Decemberists, I discovered their concept album The Hazards of Love, and went from "Oh, I really like this band" to "ZOMG I LOVE THIS BAND!"

What can I say? I'm a sucker for concept albums. I think between Joey and I, we own most of the big concept albums of the last thirty or so years, including Tommy, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Wall, and Kilroy Was Here. I don't think we have a copy of The Battle of Evermore, but I've heard it so many times that I don't think I really need one. So when you hand me a concept album with archaic language, a story of medieval magic,evil queens (especially an evil queen with the pipes of the fabulous Shara Worden!), a gallant hero, nefarious villan, doomed love and Nashville guitar, well, if I weren't a slavering fangirl of the album and the band, you'd need to check and make sure I wasn't dead.

My favorite track from all the fabulous tracks that make up Hazards of Love is the last track, which brings the story of our lovers to its inevitable conclusion. It's mournful and beautiful and I could listen to it over and over again to wallow in the pleasant melancholy it brings. It's also the inspiration for the necklace I just finished as a personal jewelry piece, so without any more wittering on about music and doomed love, I present you with River Stones:


I'm using those gorgeous heat-treated blue quartz "pebble" beads I bought at our trip to the Intergalactic Bead Show, the ones that made me gulp at the price, even after getting them half off. I had originally intended to string them into a single necklace, but this piece is really more my style. I don't think the picture really captures just how beautiful these beads are (they look like luminescent water drops), but it's the best I can do with my phone camera for now.

What do you think of it?

And just so I don't let my musical boyfriend Colin Meloy down, I'll also share with you The Hazards of Love 4, The Drowned. Enjoy the wonderful moping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...