Thursday, March 3, 2011

Mother-in-Law Musings

Sometimes I indulge my train wreck addiction and read my way through advice columns for an hour or two. There are plenty of stories of a new wife who just can't get along with her mother-in-law, and I have to stop and say a little "thank you" to the universe that I am blessed with a fantastic mother-in-law.

From the very first, Joey's mother treated me like I was one of her own. I'll never forget the first Christmas I spent with his family, and she had gone out that day to purchase a gift for me to put under their Christmas tree, just so I'd have something to open when I got there. It was a kindness that I definitely didn't expect.

My mother-in-law supported Joey and I in our wedding - she even demanded that Joey get my engagement ring early! She's supported Joey and I in our marriage, and she has been a very strong supporter in our decision to not have children, even before she knew I had a fertility disease that made having children nearly impossible.

So while I'm eternally grateful to her for raising the man I love beyond reason, I'm also thrilled beyond belief that when I married Joey, I got more than just a husband, but a second loving family, and a wonderful second mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...