Thursday, February 17, 2011

"And she's all 'Whatever, I just don't want any liver!'"

One of the most popular Etsy trends in jewelry are the antiqued/age-blackened looks. While I love it with all my heart, with very few exceptions, I have to let those pieces pass me by, for I have a nasty allergy to sulfa drugs and a sensitivity to other sulfur compounds. I break out in big ol' itchy, nasty hives and that does not a good accessory make.

So what does this have to do with antiqued jewelry? Well, a great many jewelry makers use liver of sulfur solutions to age their jewelry. Even after tumbling and cleaning, traces of the sulfur compounds still remain on the items. For someone like me, it's a one-way ticket to Hive City. Which is one reason why you never see antiqued items offered in our shop. Maybe I should just pretend I'm being a rebellious iconoclast.

A rebellious iconoclast without hives, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...